Reports to: President and Head of School
The Phelps School currently seeks a Director of Development and Alumni Affairs to join the school’s senior administration. The Director will be the primary person to plan and manage all development initiatives, fundraising activities and strategic development. In addition, the Director oversees all donor and alumni relations and management, volunteer supervision, and all school growth initiatives, such as annual and capital campaigns. The Director works closely with the President and Head of School, as well as other senior leaders.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:Leadership and Management
- Represent the School and its objectives to key donors and other external constituents, as well as faculty and staff, in a highly compelling manner that communicates a deep knowledge and appreciation of The Phelps School mission.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive fundraising program that includes setting the fundraising goals and objectives and developing and executing strategies for cultivating and soliciting major gifts, planned gifts, and corporate/foundation gifts.
- Work closely with the President and Head of School to develop robust short- and long-term development strategies.
- Develop and manage the school’s donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship efforts.
- Lead the school’s development efforts, including the annual fund, special events, and major gifts.
- Work closely with the rest of the Senior Leadership Team to collectively consider long-term strategy as well as address day-to-day matters.
- Develop proposals, promotional brochures, and other written materials in support of major fundraising initiatives based on specific needs and priorities in collaboration with other key leadership.
- Plan, direct and execute programs (e.g., reunions, special events, student-alumni relations) to help meet the fundraising and alumni relations goals of The Phelps School.
- Initiate, coordinate and manage alumni activities, parent’s associations and other volunteers.
- Work with Administrative team to advance the School’s mission and vision.
- Serve as the contact person for alumni, parents and others interested in information, services and programs related to alumni.
- Design and implement the annual giving program from concept to completion, including identifying annual fund prospects, creating and delivering all appeals, and conducting personal solicitations.
- Maintain alumni and donor records and databases.
- On-campus housing provided, serves residential supervisory duties.
- Minimum of a BA or BS degree; Master’s degree preferred.
- Five to eight years of demonstrated fundraising experience in a leadership role.
- Experience with all facets of a development office, from research to stewardship.
- Comfort with working outside of typical work week hours as needed for special events.
- Demonstrated personal solicitation experience.
- Familiarity with fundraising databases, strong computer skills and knowledge of database research and maintenance.
- Ability to work with students, as well as volunteers of all ages.
- Demonstrated ability to provide management oversight, leadership, and strategic and tactical direction.
- Track record of maximizing the support of external constituencies.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, as well as a proven ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels.
- Extensive experience with social media tools and techniques
- The ability to both lead and execute
- Outstanding judgment and maturity
- A very high level of energy, creativity and flexibility
- Strong organizational, written, communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, résumé, contact information for two to three references, and/or letters of reference via email (with “Director of Development” in the subject line) to [email protected].
How to apply to The Phelps School
Please send letter of interest, resume, and three references to [email protected].