Employment Opportunities at Phelps
The faculty and staff at Phelps are motivated by working with young people to instill the love of learning not only in their respective fields but also in the broader community. Phelps strives to assist all students in finding success in and out of the classroom. There is an Academic Support Program (ASP) designed for students who need more support with reading, writing, math, and study skills. ASP can support students with mild learning difference. Phelps also strives to create and foster an equitable and inclusive learning environment that leans into diverse perspectives to create a supportive environment for all to learn. Candidates should demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts that develop a community where all can thrive.
The Director of Enrollment Management is responsible for the recruiting, selecting, and enrolling of a diverse class of high-quality students for The Phelps School. The Director is responsible for developing marketing and strategic plans that will position Phelps as the all-boys college preparatory boarding and day school of choice for prospective boys and their families. The Director reports directly to the Head of School and President, is a member of the school’s senior administrative team and works cooperatively with the senior leadership, Board, faculty, and staff in setting direction and policy to ensure that students who enroll at Phelps are of the caliber necessary to succeed in the Phelps program, and who will be successful in life, education and their careers after graduation.
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
- Develops long-term strategies and implementation plans in accordance with enrollment priorities and mission of The Phelps School. Works with senior leadership, faculty, Board and other school constituencies to develop and articulate admissions priorities and philosophy.
- Provides regular reports and planning documents to senior leadership, the Board and faculty on the results of admissions activity. Initiates research studies/projects, which aid in understanding the effects and outcomes of admissions and financial aid policies and practices; assesses results and seeks feedback from families in the application process on a regular basis.
- Creates marketing plans and develops admissions publications and programs that are consistent with the overall strategy of The Phelps School.
- Works in close coordination with the Business Office to:
- Develop and oversee the school’s strategy, ensuring that marketing efforts are tied to the school’s financial plan
- Determine financial strategy and allocations
- Prepare and manages the departmental budget, monitoring all expenditures to assure compliance with the policies of school
- Works with Alumni Relations and Development Office to promote fuller understanding of admissions and financial aid policies and issues within alumni body; meets with donors interested in supporting financial aid scholarship program.
- Represents Phelps at various external organizations and associations.
- Leads and manages the admissions team by providing vision, objectives and expectations of work performance that support the admissions office and its activities in meeting defined goals.
- Organizes and manages all activities to attract a diverse class of high-quality applicants to the School.
- Oversees the recruitment process for the Phelps Admissions Office. These activities may include domestic & global recruitment, travel, and organizing alumni interviews and dinners, student guide program (STAR) and telemarketing events; solicits participation of school constituencies in recruitment.
- Conducts presentations (e.g., feeder schools, consultants, and school fairs) to promote The Phelps School and attract prospective boys and their families, both domestic and international.
- Creates annual retention plan; oversees/assists with re-enrollment process and setting tuition.
- Provides direction to the assistant director with respect to recruitment, admission, and the development and implementation of strategies to retain high-quality applicants from population groups that are underrepresented.
- Provides on-going consultation to prospective boys, applicants and their families.
- Administers the evaluation and decision process of the Admissions Committee for establishing admissions standards and for evaluating and making final admit/deny decisions.
- Reviews and reads applications; interviews prospective students; responds to applicant inquiries; and counsels’ prospective boys and their families regarding the admissions process, test taking strategies, curriculum, etc.
- Represents the school before alumni and other groups and serves as the primary contact for admissions.
- Oversees the planning of all admissions events held on and off campus.
FINANCIAL AID ACTIVITIES
- Works closely with the President to develop a yearly plan and budget for financial aid awards. Serves as the lead for the Financial Aid Committee, which determines financial aid award packages for admitted students; performs needs analysis, packaging, counseling, phone calls, office visits, and all contacts with current and prospective financial aid students.
- Responsible for overseeing the financial aid plan and budget.
- Reviews files and application materials to determine family’s ability to pay and eligibility for institutional funds. On a case-by-case basis, uses professional judgment to make adjustments in calculating the expected parental contribution.
- Communicates effectively with a diverse population of current and prospective students and families.
- Develops, manages, and evaluates staff to meet changing department needs.
- Sets clear vision and objectives for staff; identifies and articulates performance expectations.
- Meets with staff regularly to discuss work, provide guidance, delegate projects and assess progress.
- Provides timely and relevant feedback to staff regarding work performance.
Please send letter of interest, resume, and references to Tony McGeorge, Head of School, at [email protected].
How to apply to The Phelps School
Please send letter of interest, resume, and three references to [email protected].