Effective Study Skills for Parents
The following guidelines may be helpful for parents of day students as they monitor
their sons’ homework completion each evening:
- Have a set time and place for working on homework and stick to it consistently.
- Do not allow for distractions by social media, television, or other electronic diversions.
- Begin with the most difficult subject.
- Do not leave test preparation only to the night before the test. Begin studying and preparing several days in advance.
- If no written homework is assigned for a given night, spend some time reviewing notes or other materials from that class.
- Develop a written daily and weekly “to do” list of items that includes the due dates of any future assignments.
- It is best for parents to check on their sons periodically during homework time and check that all homework has been completed.