Effective Study Skills – How to Help
Here are a few guidelines for day students’ parents as they monitor study time at home:
- Establish a specific study/homework time and place – and have him stick to it!
- Remove distractions and devices not required for schoolwork.
- Join him each night in reviewing his list/calendar of tests, assignments, and project-due dates.
- Encourage him to start each night with his most difficult assignment and most challenging subject.
- Remind him to begin studying and preparing for tests several days in advance.
- For classes with no specific assignment due the next day, he should review notes and major topics.
- Check on him periodically during study time and see that all assignments are completed.
- Encourage him to write in his Learning Journal!
- Encourage him to read great books beyond the curriculum.
- If you have questions or concerns, feel free to email his faculty advisor.